Friday, November 5, 2010

Waves and Work



















Enjoying my first day off after 7 days of work. It’s a blustery day with high winds and waves at the condo (seas in front of condo pictured, along with a picture of the front of the condo). We’ve had rain squalls go through the past couple of days and I expect we’ll see more today.
I’m working very hard trying to learn all the boat skills, tank handling and filling tasks and the restaurant and serving duties. Divemasters at Pirates Point do it all. About the only time I feel relatively competent is underwater. I’ve guided 5 days of diving now and I haven’t gotten any divers lost yet. Success! But getting divers to pay attention to their environment, the dive route and their safety is definitely like herding unruly, excited kindergartners at times. The job also is very physically demanding. I spent 2 hours underwater yesterday, loaded a truck with gear, loaded and unloaded gear on the boat and helped move a truckload of scuba tanks. I also cleaned up after breakfast and helped set up the dining room for dinner…and that was a short day because I didn’t have to come back and work dinner. One of the guests said to me this week, after observing all that the crew does, “this isn’t a slow island pace is it?” Nope, far from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment