Friday, October 22, 2010

A Matter of Respect


The clean-up at the resort continues. We’re power-washing everything, cleaning up yard debris from the storm season (while it’s still storming – Tropical Storm Richard is kicking waves, wind and rain at us, but it’s still predicted to bypass us to the west) and the maids are getting the rooms put back together. My jobs today: power washing, interior window washing and hauling lounge chairs out to the pool deck and the beach. Meanwhile, Bob, another divemaster, cleaned the Jacuzzi, which involved netting tadpoles. How tadpoles survive in chemical-laden Jacuzzi water is a mystery to me, but there was an entire hot-tub party going on in there. French, a Jamaican landscaper, is working on clearing the yard. At the end of his long hard day, I brought him some cookies and muffins to take home. When Jamaican workers say thank you, they say “respect” – acknowledging your kindness and respect.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Sis! I love the "thank you" from Jamaican's - respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is any consolation, it is storming in Tahoe. Yesterday was beginning of the onslaught of wind and rain just as I broke down and got my dry suit certification. Great fun in surge and 35 degree air temps thus, the training...nothing like your first free flow to the surface upside down! Oh how I miss the tropics!
    It sounds like you are well underway to getting ready for all the visitors. Thanks for the fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sis! I'm working on learning more Jamaican!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, ask Steve about his dry-suit assent. His drug him to the surface too. I'm soooo impressed that you're still diving there. You animal! We dove again today -- dive No. 4. Water temp? 84 degrees. :-) I'm diving in a shorty with short sleeves, using 5 pounds. Ha!

    ReplyDelete